Tuesday, September 13, 2011

It ends


It is over; caput, goodbye, adieu, farewell, le fin, no more, all done. I am breaking up with you.
How many hours have I spent, gazing into your depths, looking for deeper meaning and fulfillment? kijijiAlberta> Calgary>buyandsell>Baby items>Strollers,carriers&carseats, it simply is not with you.

We have had such wonderful times together, bartering, looking at pictures, researching stroller models various seat reclines and color schema. You were the obsession of a grouchy gravida, and the refuge of an exhausted new mother in early a.m. hours. But I have taken all I can from you. I used you, besotted as I was, for your strollers.
This has become an unhealthy relationship; I have been fantasizing of how to convince my friends to have babies so's to justify another stroller mission and purchase from your depths. I also considered buying more strollers, replacing their canopies, and reselling them. My mother has told me that I do not have enough room in my apartment, and that I need to move on. I agree with both points.

Our time was not wasted time My keen interest in used luxury pushchairs has brought me to the following useful conclusions;

The Bumbleride Queen B (2007-2008) is a Hummer – a fortress for baby with solid construction. Adding to the manliness of this stroller is a JOHNDEER color scheme. The vibrant and roomy canopy is without compromise (it even has a peekaboo window), as are the large, all-terrain air filled tires. The seat may be turned around if baby is sick of looking and momma, the handle can be adjusted so a four year old may happily push. Like a Hummer, the Queen B requires muscle and space. With its significant bulk and weight of 32 lbs + baby, it requires either two people to bring down the stairs, or a garage at street level. Or it folds and can be transported with baby in two pieces. Nothankyouverymuch. Needless to say this kijiji venture was not a successful one, and a month or two after aquisition, I return this pram to you, with a brand new carry basket. I give it four out of five hearts, all of which are BROKEN.
New price: $649-$799 Kijiji price: $200
Moving right along....
...footloose and fancy free!

The Bumbleride Flyer, we visited after much deliberation. The 2007 model I viewed is persnickety – the adjustable handlebar means locking and unlocking wheels, and the baby-facing-momma direction steers rather poorly. The footmuff and canopy have useful pockets on this model, but the hesitant orange color is not very appealing (it is a pale orange, almost pastel-esque. Ick). This stroller I did not purchase, and fled rapidly. However it does have a nice folding mechanism and is fairly light. On paper the flyer is perfect for an apartment, but it's finicky wheels and steering do not suit this momma's purposes. This stroller garners two out of five hearts, NONE of which are broken.
New price: $329-$459 Kijiji price: $200

Easily the prettiest stroller I met because of you, Mr. Kijiji was the Bumbleride Indie. This beautiful red jogging stroller is a dream. Light and compact, smooth and pretty, it steers well, can be lifted with baby inside it, and is the mid-range costing stroller. It is under 20 lbs and has an especially compact fold, and is designed to handle light running. With the same tires and the Queen B, the useful pockets of the Flyer, and the sturdy fabric characteristic of the brand, this is the perfect stroller to buy. However, I did not – I found something better.
New price: $499-$550 Kijiji price: $250

I hesitated with this last stroller. It was a Bugaboo, a brand name I associated with wealth and trendiness (two things which I am not). And the model I was to look at was discontinued, and orange. Nevertheless, I committed to viewing a Bugaboo Frog.
This stroller floored me. Steerable with one finger, loaded with accessories (hello toddler board, bassinet, cupholder, mosquito net, rain shield, repair kit) there was no turning back. The fold, while compact, is undeniably fiddly, but it is very light, all-terrain and alright to run with on occasion (!!!!!!). Like the bumblerides, this stroller has an aluminum frame and good sized canopy.
This is what you gave me, kijiji. Five out of five hearts. I need you no longer.
New price (not including toddler board and cupholder): $759-$799 Kijiji price: $350

And that's all, folks. School time!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment