Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Working on the Story

This New Year's, I made a resolution to finish a novel before the year was out.  Up to this point, I've got three scenes complete, each nearly about a chapter's length.  I've been reworking the story, over and over in my head, and unfortunately, I've just begun taking notes. 

The basic idea is this:  young adult fiction (if not tween - 10 to 14yrs), in a fantastic setting, comprising mostly of the City of Pearl - a city where magic is so commonplace, it's rare to not have any or not be using any.   The main character is forced from his home into an unwelcome apprenticeship, where he must survive in an unfamiliar city, with no friends but those he makes.

I've got some great ideas and I worked out the plotting for the first chapter (again!), and I think I have the idea of how the initial action is happening.

Tis fun, but hard to find the time these days.  Working Starbucks really helps.  I like the morning shifts they've been giving me.  It leaves my afternoons and evenings to recover, do errands during business hours, and work on writing in the evenings.  Violet's been coming along for the ride, as my creative consultant, and as you can see below, the most interesting blog writer of the two of us. 

My sweet hawk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment